I don’t support Dr. Ben Carson but I won’t pick on his wife…that is just wrong!

Dr. Ben Carson and Candy Carson at the Family Foundation Fund's A Nashville Evening at Lipscomb University with Joe Hutts and Mary Carmen Englert. (Facebook)

I have been reading a few articles and Facebook comments on Dr. Ben Carson and his wife. I find it really disturbing that people would make unnecessary comments against Dr. Ben Carson’s wife for no reason! She isn’t running for Presidnet…her husband is! She is an accomplished woman and should be respected no matter how you feel about him. As an African-American woman, I find it disheartening that Mrs. Carson would be the subject of jokes! Let’s see she is the wife of a successful top neurosurgeon, married for 40 years, have three sons that are all educated, a triple major student at Yale University, holds an MBA, head of the Carson Scholars Fund program which awards 2nd-11th graders scholarships, and is a concert violinist…sounds pretty accomplished to me!

I can care less what she wears because her resume is pretty impressive. Dr. Ben Carson did not marry a dummy or someone with no class. He married an accomplished woman in her own right who should be respected. I don’t support Dr. Ben Carson and his candidacy for president but I won’t be a part of the “let’s bash Dr. Carson wife movement” ! Why do we find the need to bash wives of African-American leaders or candidates? I have seen this done heavily to President Obama’s wife and now to Republican candidate Dr. Ben Carson wife. Yet, I could name a few wives that should be included in the bashing movement…Hillary Clinton, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan, and the list goes on! Let’s show some respect and give these men kudos for marrying successful and talented women! Concentrate on the candidates versus their wives!

35 thoughts on “I don’t support Dr. Ben Carson but I won’t pick on his wife…that is just wrong!

1. Michele L. Therien October 24, 2015 / 8:12 pm

I agree with you. However, all female spouses, no matter what their color or accomplishments, are derided. It is unfair, but this is how America treats women.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 4:09 am

America is wrong for treating any woman wrong! However, I have an issue when you start picking on people for the ir skin color and called Apes!

2. Janet H. Key October 24, 2015 / 8:22 pm

Sorry that you see this as only an A-A problem. Mrs. Clinton took a truckload of abuse for her appearance as First Lady of both Arkansas and the USA. Barbara Bush and Nancy Reagan definitely got passes, but what about Eleanor Roosevelt? She was called homely, a lesbian for her friendship with the woman who turned about to be her husband’s mistress. Bess Truman was dowdy and preferred to be home in Kansas. I agree that Mrs. Obama has faced ridiculous and harsh criticism, but she’s not the only First lady to whom it has happened.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 4:08 am

Let me know if all these president wives you listed were called Apes, the N-word, and picked on for being African-American!

• Sandra October 26, 2015 / 3:34 am

Actually Eleanor was called such names and people said she must have “negro”ancestors because of her friendship and support of Blacks. People gonna hate whether it’s first lady or their children. Far Right sites still call Hilary a murderer and have some conspiracy scheme in which she is involved. They call her awful names. These people are seriously ugly souls. I shudder when I read these.

• ebonyjones0521 October 26, 2015 / 3:50 am

Hi Sandra, I am aware that First Lady Eleanor was called names but its funny whenever someone brings up people of color that folks try to dismiss it or bring up people like First Lady Eleanor to compare as if it’s the same thing which it’s not but you are entitled to your opinion and I will respect it!

3. Bobbi October 24, 2015 / 8:26 pm

I was with you until you claimed that Hillary Clinton should have been bashed when she was First Lady. How about not bashing any of them?

• Earl Paige October 25, 2015 / 10:06 pm

I agree (and though the same thing when I got to the last 2 sentences of the piece.

4. Ellen October 24, 2015 / 8:43 pm

I agree with you. Complete ignorance is the only explanation. With a resume like that, why isn’t Lacena Rustin Carson, running for office? (She has a name, she is not just Dr Carson’s wife).
    On the other hand, it’s not just African American wives who are picked on. I remember a nasty campaign against Hillary Clinton when she didn’t divorce Bill Clinton for his infidelity and before that, they crucified her for her hair style…seriously? Hillary is also an accomplished woman, in her own right….
    Nancy Reagan took heat for her spiritual beliefs and Barbara Bush was definitely picked on for her style.
    None of it is right.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 4:07 am

None of it is right but it does come with the territory! However, it all needs to stop! President Obama wife was recently called an Ape and Dr. Carson wife is being picked on and she hasn’t even been in the spot light with her husband a lot! I think all President wives and presidential candidates spouses should be off limits!

5. Molly Fuller October 24, 2015 / 8:56 pm

Nancy Reagan and Hillary Clinton were both bashed for the eight years their respective husbands were in office. I agree that it is unseemly to bash Mrs. Carson and Mrs. Obama.I I don’t understand why you listed women that “should be included in the bashing movement”. Really? REALLY?

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 4:04 am

Really? Let me know when they have been picked on for the skin color and called Apes! I listed these women to say if you are going to bash, well bash all the President’s wives or stop all the bashing on certain wives!

6. Margaret Pruitt October 24, 2015 / 9:10 pm

Such personal attacks are disgusting.

7. DJ October 24, 2015 / 9:53 pm

Totally agree. She looks like a really nice woman, regardless of her husband’s politics. Fox News has brought public discourse so low. Progressives need to rise above it and show some class.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 4:01 am

I agree! Fox has really done its job to pick on Mrs. Carson and I hope Dr. Carson speaks up on behalf of his wife!

8. Anita Phillips October 24, 2015 / 9:57 pm

Sure. Leave her alone the same as they have left Michelle and their kids alone.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 4:02 am

I agree but Michelle and her kids have been attacked. I think recently Univision reporter called her an Ape from “Planet of the Apes!”

9. nsk917 October 24, 2015 / 11:00 pm

Have you lived on the moon in the past 20 years? Mrs. Clinton has been bashed and generally disrespected since her spouse’s first presidential campaign.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 3:59 am

Mrs. Clinton has been bashed but let’s see here she is still supported by the majority and I don’t think she has ever been called a Monkey like Mrs. Obama has recently or compared to Apes. I am sorry but its silly to ask if I am living on the moon! You are entitled to your opinion!

10. Theresa Stahlman-West October 24, 2015 / 11:17 pm

I was with you until you got to the part about bashing Hillary Clinton and other first ladies – why is it ok to bash them?

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 3:57 am

Now here we go! My point is that if you are going to bash Mrs. Carson…bash everyone! As people of color we get a lot of attacks and more attention that is negative. It’s never okay to bash any woman but why are you bypassing the point of the article?

11. Squirrel October 25, 2015 / 1:29 am

You totally discredited your own point once you specifically named women who “should be bashed!” I was very much in support of what you had to say until you said that. You shouldn’t only want to support non-bashing for women of color, but ALL women!! Shame on you!!

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 3:55 am

Shame on me! Well, this article is based on Mrs. Carson! See as a woman of color I have experienced a lot and I have notice that President Obama and Dr. Carson wives seem to get picked on a lot more for being people of color. I am sorry that you don’t get the point but you are welcome to your own viewpoint!

• Squirrel October 25, 2015 / 4:10 am

I very much understand what you’re saying. However, you’re also saying anyone but black women should be/”deserve” to be picked on. YOU are missing your own point of not picking on the candidates families/wives and that point should have credence regardless of race/skin color! Blacks want racism to stop, but yet want to always be an ‘exception to the rule’ based on being people of color. It’s one thing to be proud of who you are, your race, your culture, etc. But to perpetuate that it’s okay “to pick on” other candidates wives or families because they’re NOT women of color is divisional and wrong.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 4:51 am

So wrong but we can agree to disagree! It’s not okay to pick on anyone but I am tired of hearing very racist comments made to women of color like Michele Obama being called an Ape!

12. Rose Bowler October 25, 2015 / 3:58 am

I agree with your sentiment, except Hillary Clinton, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan all took their share of bashing too. The Spousal and child bashing just needs to stop, it is undignified and a bad representation of the American public.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 11:40 pm

Say what you want! However, I stick by my words and story! It’s interesting how some folks who are non-black have an issue with me listing non-black president wives but nothing is said about Mrs. Carson or Mrs. Obama! Your comments say a lot! No, reverse discrimination isn’t right but neither is bashing just a few women racially! Thanks for your comments!

13. Joseph October 25, 2015 / 5:59 pm

So, you’re mad because white first ladies have not been called black racial slurs?

The fact that they’ve been abused and harped on doesn’t matter, because they haven’t been called the n-word?

Which is a thousand times worse than calling a white woman a “lesbian” during an era where it wasn’t socially acceptable to be one?

And a list of first ladies who “should be bashed”? (You know they were, just because no one called them by black racial slurs, it doesn’t mean they didn’t face abuse)

So in other words you won’t be happy until someone calls Hillary Clinton a honkey, or a cracker?

The fact is, these other women faced abuses far worse. Not ignorant stupidity based on race.

By the way miss, “reverse racisim” is just racisim.

14. annaoutis October 25, 2015 / 6:04 pm

I agree with other posters that you undermined your own point by listing women that “should be included in the bashing movement.” Do women of color (especially African American women) get bashed on a completely different level than white women? Yes, absolutely. But you can make that point without saying it’s okay to bash certain women. That’s just going to distract from your argument and cause people to miss the point.

Also, it’s “Dr. Carson’s wife” not “Dr. Carson wife.” Sorry, it’s just a giant pet peeve of mine when bloggers don’t use proper grammar.

• ebonyjones0521 October 25, 2015 / 11:37 pm

Anna,

You have a right to your own opinion! It’s funny that a lot of folks have a problem with this article when it refers to non-blacks but no comments on other articles about people of color. I am glad you are reviewing my grammar but I will keep it “as is” in the article!

Thanks!

Ebony

15. Brad jones October 29, 2015 / 4:04 am

I am a 42 year old white male conservative from Georgia. I am so tired of hearing about race. Yes their is racism and always will be and its wrong. White black green or purple should not be maid fun of. But please please stop feeling sorry for yourself if someone is racist to you. I promise u its a two way street. Not every white male is racist. Yes slavery was wrong and truly thank God for ending it. Segregation was wrong thank God it ended but please stop complaining about racism. I promise u no matter what color u are u will face adversity from someone or something. Yes I am voting for a black man Ben Carson. Color or gender has nothing to do with.We share similar values and understand that there is a creator. We are accountable to him.

• ebonyjones052174 October 29, 2015 / 6:55 am

Hi Brad! I appreciate you leaving a comment. Yes, racism goes both ways but I have seen too many African-Americans and Latinos experience some real hate that is disturbing! We better start talking about race and discrimination instead of turning away or we will never get anywhere on this subject!